Monday, February 20, 2017

Black is the New White


My friend Donna posted a stunning card on That's Crafty's blog the other day (see her card here), where the main panel is black instead of white. WOW! I had forgotten how beautiful a black card can be!

So, on my day off on Sunday I wanted to make a black card, too ... but I didn't know what or how or ...  Solution: I looked at my fave challenge blogs and browsed through Paper Playful as well to see if there were any challenges that would kick-start my idle muse. Oh boy, did she ever get kicked! I had to stop browsing after I had found SEVEN challenges I wanted to combine! I wrote them down so I wouldn't have to remember them all (my Post-It notes stick so much better than my memory ...).

I use my work table when I mix paints....best palette ever!

See if you can spot all the challenges:

 I white embossed the flowers and coloured them with alcohol markers,
same with frame around the card.


Layers: Check!
Sketch: Check!
Bingo: Check! (Black, Dies, Ribbon. Die cuts are the orange and blue rectangles)
Something new: The cone flower stamp from Penny Black is one I've had for an eon and a half; but the die cuts are brand new - they came in the mail last week and I hadn't even placed them in my die cuts organizing thingie yet.
Fave tool: Heat gun, by a long shot! (<--- no weapon pun intended). I use it not just for heat embossing like I've done here, more often for speed drying whatever I'm working on since patience isn't something I willingly practise .....
Ribbon or Lace: I don't use either that much, but I have a huge selection of ribbons from back in the days when I used them quite often, I even subscribed to a monthly ribbon club! I don't have that much lace - which is really why I use ribbon, if anything :)
30 minutes or less: Un-check, more like 300 minutes! :-O

I'm entering my card to only six challenges, then:

Rubber Dance: Layers
Penny Black: Use something new (+ a PB product)
Simon Says: Fave tool - heat gun * Rats, missed the deadline!
Fab'n'Funky: Bingo - black, die-cuts, ribbon
As You Like It: Ribbon or Lace + Why?
Cheerful Sketches: February sketch:
http://cheerfulsketcheschallenge.blogspot.no/2017/02/februari.html

Thank you for all the fun challenges, folks!
And thanks to Donna for inspiring me to make a black card!


Last but not least: 
Thank YOU for looking! ♥

  

Edited: This card was picked as one of the DT faves at Penny Black. Thank you so much!

17 comments:

  1. Wow that's a professional approach to entering challenges! I tie myself in knots if I try more than 3 at once... Lovely card Bibi, the black of the background does look striking against the flowers and the white splatters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Bibi, when I looked at your card I thought there's no way you did that in 30 minutes. Your card is gorgeous, beautifully designed, and this sketch is one that I'm going to keep hold of. I also have serious bow tying envy! Have a fun week, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Bibi you are so lovely, what a wonderful surprise to see that I inspired you. You've made the most beautiful card too and your use of black has really made the whole card pop, you clever girl you ;)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! What an amazing job.... I always forget about the challenges I've joined. So most of the time I never come back to see, if I was a winner *LOL*. Your card is super cool. Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous. Great technique with the promarkers on the embossed flowers. Love your layers. Yeah, that 30 minutes or less is HARD!! Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance layers challenge. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to white emboss the flowers and then use alcohol inks over them. I love the layout and the colours, so contemporary and such fun x Great to mix all the cahllenges...great job x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card... Thanks for joining us at Fab'n'Funky:)
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello
    This is a stunning card... love the black... stunning look
    Thanks for joining us at PBSC
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bibi how stunning, the contrast of using black card always gives striking affects. I love your notations and table palette... You've produced a 30 minute success!! Hugs Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great take on the sketch, Bibi, and what a treat to see this beautiful card in black! Thank you for the link to Donna's card ~ I've just ordered the Posca pens to give this idea a whirl!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning card thanks for sharing it on our Cheerful Sketches challengeblog!!
    Hugs Wilma DTCheerful

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, Bibi! You are so clever and so funny. You made my day! This card was absolutly wonderfull ♥
    And I am so glad that I'm not alone forgetting things and very dependent of Post It notes ;-)
    Thank you for joining the Rubber Dance Layers Challenge!
    Hugs, Anita ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome card Bibi....love it!
    Thanks for joining us at Cheerful Sketches.
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Een prachtige kaart.
    Leuk dat je meedoet met onze challenge bij Cheerful Sketches.
    Bedankt en succes !
    Carla (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Bibi, you do inspire so much...hugs.xx ♥[aNNie]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Striking, unique & beautiful! So glad you joined us at PBSC!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! ♥

I guess it's not common that people go back to see if they were thanked for their comments, so I will say it now: THANK YOU! ♥